Wieso ist denn hier alles auf Englisch? Ich dachte, ihr seid aus Bonn.
Aufgrund unserer internationalen Teamzusammensetzung und Kundenausrichtung kommunizieren wir in Englisch. Die App ist aber auch in Deutsch verfügbar.
What do you offer?
Murmuras offers next generation research technologies for scientists to conduct behavioral studies. The spin-off of the University of Bonn provides a full-stack solution, from data collection (via the Murmuras app & wearables) to analysis (via Web-platform). Study the digital behavior and real world movement of any number of participants.
- – Location data (such as GPS-data and mobile network provided data)
- – App-sessions (time spent actively using a specific app)
- – App-content (Likes, texts, links, pictures, scrolling & more for each app/platform)
- – Smartphone-sessions (time spent actively using the device)
- – Study related questionnaires at the beginning, during and at the end of the study
- – Smart questions (i.e. participant played Candy Crush for 30 minutes - a pop-up appears “How do you feel?”)
- – Wearables data (such as activity, sleep, blood pressure, depending on the used wearable)
- Murmuras always tries to protect user’s data and to ensure GDPR (DSGVO) compliance. Personal data will only be used for study purposes. In particular, personalized advertising, personal credit scoring or other automated decisions about individual participants are excluded. All servers are adequately secured and hosted in Germany.
What are the roles of researchers and participants?
As a researcher you can use our technology to study the digital behavior and real world movement of participants.
- As a participant you can help researchers to better understand human behavior by joining her/his study.
How much does it cost?
The Murmuras app for participants is for free.
- There is also a free version for researchers. For more information, please check our website or send us a request at email@example.com and tell us about the scope of your project.
Does the Murmuras app work on any phone?
With Menthal, we have established a track record on running on thousands of Android phones and hundreds of models over now six years. We are also working on a iOS version. Please contact us for more information.
How reliable is your technology?
Murmuras' technology is built upon the Menthal project. The Menthal-App runs stable, secure and robust on hundreds of phone models, with >700.000 users since 2014.
Who is your target group?
Possible research areas include psychiatric disorders like depression, mobility and consumer behavior or social media usage.
- The aim is to revolutionize
- - Psychology
- - Sociology
- - Demography
- - Human Science
- - Medicine
- - Human Biology
- - Behavioral Economics
- - Market & Consumer Research
- - Marketing
- - Education
- - Human Geography
- - Communication Design
- - Political Sciences.
What are smart or context-related questions?
Smart questions can be defined by researchers to automatically appear either time-triggered or context-related as a pop-up on participants' phone.
- Example 1: Participant played Candy Crush for 30 minutes - a pop-up appears 'How do you feel?'
- Example 2: Participant goes out of Starbucks (phone tracks via GPS) - a pop-up appears 'How much did you spend? Are you satisfied?'
- Example 3 (only time triggered): Every day at 9AM a pop-up appears on participant's phone 'How did you sleep?'
How can I use your technology?
1 - Tell us about your research
- 2 - Design your individual study
- 3 - Generate your participants' codes for the Murmuras app
- 4 - Use our platform to manage your study
- 5 - Analyses, correlate and visualize your participants' data
How do I recruit participants?
Our main aim is to provide technology for researchers. However, we can also help you find participants. Please contact us for more information.
Do you provide customized solutions?
Our full-stack developers can help you with your individualized IT-solution. We do also provide white labeling/ individual branding as well as individual hosting either on our or your servers.
How do I sign up?
If you are participant with a participant's code for a study, please download the Murmuras-app on Google Playstore and follow the instructions. For further questions, please ask the researcher who gave you the code in the first place.
What happens to my data?
Murmuras and the Researcher ensure that your data is used exclusively for study purposes. Especially the use for personalized advertising, personal credit scoring or other automated decisions about individual participants is excluded. For more information, please have a look at our privacy statement and terms of usage.
How do you handle my data?
Murmuras always tries to protect user’s data and to ensure GDPR (DSGVO) compliance. All servers are adequately secured and hosted in Germany. The data privacy concept has been created by specialized IT-lawyers (Meyer-Köring, Bonn). As a spin-off from the University Bonn, we are used to handling data carefully, securely and responsibly since 2014.
I lost my participant code. How do I get a new one?
Please contact the researcher who gave you the code in the first place.
What was the reason for founding Murmuras?
Smartphones generate a plethora of data and thus provide rich insights into the lives of their owners. So far, only Big-Tech benefited from these capabilities; academic researchers remained excluded. For this reason, the Menthal project has been designed at the University of Bonn in 2014. Over time, numerous researchers and corporations worldwide have asked to use Menthal technology for their own projects. Murmuras caters to these needs. Our focus lies especially on individual researchers without dedicated IT-budgets. Ideally, any MSc student should be able to run even extensive experiments directly on our platform. Larger research initiatives or corporate clients naturally enjoy any level of collaboration and customization.
Is the Menthal-project still part of the University of Bonn?
Yes, and it is maintained by the same developers who are working for Murmuras as a separate University-project. However, there will be a Menthal-relaunch soon.
What does Murmuras mean?
The company name origins from the term “murmuration”, the complex flocking behavior displayed by starlings. Similarly, Murmuras studies the dynamics of human behavior on a large scale.